Who we are
The Pre-Award Team in the Office of Extramural Support reinforces the growth of Semel Institute's extramural contract and grant portfolio by providing guidance to faculty and staff. Our team has expertise and advises in the following areas:
- Review and interpretation of Funding Opportunity Announcements
- Budget development
- Allowability of costs according to the applicable federal, state and/or local regulations and institutional processes
- Proposal onstruction, such as provision of boilerplate language and completion of various types of forms required for submission
- Review of prepared proposal applications
- Sign and submit finalized applications via Cayuse
Operations & Pre-Award Analyst
Our pre-award team is here to answer your budgeting questions and guide you through budget preparation. The Resources section has many checklists and templates that will help you get you started on your next proposal.
Our team assists researchers without administrators with uploading of proposal documents into our proposal submission system. If you prefer to upload your own documents, please visit our Resources section and complete the Cayuse Access Request form.
WHAT WE DO
Our pre-award analysts perform a thorough review on all outgoing proposals for accuracy and compliance with University and sponsor guidelines. A review is mandatory for all outgoing proposals and helps streamline processing of funded awards.
Our experienced team is here to help you with the proposal preparation process. We can provide you with templates and answer any questions related to budgeting, administrative requirements, and internal timelines. Our team will assist in drafting of the budget and justification, filling out the administrative sections of the application, and uploading of documents. We will help you determine the required documents for your proposal, including the EPASS, conflict of interest disclosures, and PI exception letters. We will also coordinate these forms for signatures and finalize your proposal.
Complex Award Planning
The Office of Extramural Support is committed to the success of our faculty and staff. As an extension of the Pre-Award and Services, we are proud to offer Complex Award Planning services designed to help our researchers assemble and submit very large and complex proposals. Our goal is to take away the administrative burdens associated with large projects and streamline the application process.
Where are we located
Our team offers the following services:
- Administrative support : Large and complex awards require proper administrative support. OES will provide personnel and expertise to facilitate the completion of the administrative proposal components
- Complex awards come with complex administrative requirements : Many awards require coordination with Compliance, Tax Services, and IT departments. We will work out the administrative details with other departments on campus and ensure that your application meets all requirements and special conditions
- Meeting & Brainstorming Coordination : Our team will coordinate meeting schedules and locations for your team to discuss action items for the proposal submission. We will work with your personnel to find meeting times and will book the necessary space
- Budgeting : We have experience budgeting for complex awards; let our team coordinate your budget needs. We will gather the necessary information and provide budget templates suited to your needs. Our team will also draft the budget justification for your review
- Subaward and Subcontract Coordination : Collaboration is the key to many large and complex projects. Our team will reach out to your collaborators for budget information and will coordinate any necessary administrative elements of the proposal
Please contact us immediately if you plan to submit a complex application. It is extremely important to plan in advance for complex awards to allow adequate time for coordinate of all elements of the proposal.